Tbilisi International Regional Festival
Degree & Profession
“Life Beyond Tourism - Countries, history, cultural tourism”
Virtual expo and Conference
18 - 24 November 2013, Tbilisi, Georgia
Organized by Faculty of Media Art, Tbilisi State Academy of Art
Menu: Tbilisi Home, Program, Photos & Results
Intro to Tbilisi Regional Festival
Fields of activities, each having the experts boards, consisting of international and local professionals:
- Architecture - interior, civil architecture, urban planning;
- Fine art-painting, graphics, plastics;
- Media art: video art and animation, photography, visual and digital art ( winners will be provided with the free Master's 2-years studies at the Faculty of Media Art);
- Cultural heritage, art history and theory;
- Design - fashion, jewelry, textile, artistic ceramic and glass.
Letter of the Dean of the Faculty of Media Art, Nana Iashvili
Activities of the Romualdo Del Bianco Foundation are focused on integration of young professionals and professors into the modern environment. The ongoing projects:"Life Beyond Tourism" and Florence World Festival -"Degree and Profession" are directed following the motto: Cultural heritage-tangible and intangible, as well as, "Discovering the past together-working to build a shared future". It has to be noted that, the Regional Festivals, having the same name - "Degree and Profession", with participation of the university delegations and their clubs, are arranging the similar activities, leading to the foundation's future development.
It is great honor, that the memorandum, signed between the Media Art Faculty and the Foundation, has provided us an opportunity of the 7 years long collaboration by participation in the Round Tables and the international festivals. The collaboration occurred to be too fruitful, including the Medals of the President of Italy in 2008, 2009, 2012, Grand prize in 2009, winning the workshops in 2009, 2010, winning the Virtual Expo in 2009, as well as various premium awards. In March, 2012 there was arranged the congress "Modernism in the Caucasus: Tbilisi, Baku, Yerevan 1900-1940". The international exchange workshops “Cross cultural dialogue: influence of Italy especially of Florence” and ARTbilisi are regularly held ..
I am glad to extend hospitality once again to the Regional festival - "Degree and Profession" - Virtual Expo and International Conference - "Life Beyond Tourism", the international Students Workshop "Texture in the fashion", in collaboration with the Costume Colloquium IVFlorence 2014, to be held in Tbilisi, on 18-24 November, 2013. The festival will present various art fields: video art and photography, visual and digital art, architecture and urban planning, painting, graphics, fashion design, textile, art history and theory, restoration...
Dr. Prof. Nana Iashvili
Expert of the Fondazione Romualdo Del Bianco – Life Beyond Tourism
History of the Tbilisi State Academy of Art
Tbilisi State Academy of Art was founded in 1922. In 1927 department of ceramics was added. From the very beginning staff of lecturers and professors was formed by re-known artists: Gigo Gabashvili, Jacob Nikoladze, David Kakabadze, Lado Gudiashvili, Apolon Kutateladze, Sergo kobuladze, , etc., who had won wide fame to Georgian art. In 1959 a number of chairs of applied arts were founded, which later on formed a separate faculty. In 1967 a faculty of history and theory of art was founded. In 2004 there was founded the faculty of restoration-conservation.
In 1997, at the Faculty of Architecture, the separate specialty of digital media (on the fee basis) was opened first time. As a result of the successful start, in 2005, the specialty was transformed into the Faculty of Media Art, one of the most successful and demandable faculty at present. The faculty includes the priority specialties: digital modelling and projecting, digital multimedia, traditional and digital animation, graphic design and visual communications, Photography. At present 280 students are studying at the professional, BA, MA, PhD courses of the faculty.
You can visit the website of Tbilisi State Academy of Art
History of Tbilisi
Legend has it that the present-day territory of Tbilisi was covered by forest as late as the AD 458. According to one account King Vakhtang I Gorgasali of Georgia went hunting in the heavily wooded region with a falcon (sometimes the falcon is substituted either by a hawk or another small birds of prey in the legend). The King's falcon caught/injured a pheasant during the hunt, after which both birds fell into a nearby hot spring and died. King Vakhtang became so impressed with the discovery that he decided to build a city on this location. The name Tbilisi derives from the Old Georgian word "Tpili", meaning warm. The name Tbilisi or Tbilisi ("warm location") therefore was given to the city because of the area's numerous sulfuric hot springs.
Archaeological studies of the region have revealed that the territory of Tbilisi was settled by humans as early as the 4th millennium BC. The earliest actual (recorded) accounts of settlement of the location come from the second half of the 4th century AD, when a fortress was built during King Varaz-Bakur's reign.
Tbilisi becomes a Capital. King Dachi I Ujarmeli (beginning of the 6th century), who was the successor of Vakhtang Gorgasali, moved the capital from Mtskheta to Tbilisi according to the will left by his father. It must be mentioned that Tbilisi was not the capital of a unified Georgian state at that time (therefore did not include the territory of Colchis) and was only the capital of Eastern Georgia/Iberia. During his reign, King Ujarmeli was also responsible for finishing the construction of the fortress wall that lined the city's new boundaries. Beginning from the 6th century, Tbilisi started to grow at a steady pace due to the region's favourable and strategic location which placed the city along important trade and travel routes between Europe and Asia.
Tbilisi as the Capital of a Unified Georgian State and the Georgian Renaissance.
In 1122, after heavy fighting with the Seljuks that involved at least 60,000 Georgians and up to 300,000 Turks, the troops of the King of Georgia David the Builder entered Tbilisi. After the battles for Tbilisi concluded, David moved his residence from Kutaisi (Western Georgia) to Tbilisi, making it the capital of a unified Georgian State. From 12-13th centuries, Tbilisi became a dominant regional power with a thriving economy (with well-developed trade and skilled labour) and a well-established social system/structure. By the end of the 12th century (A.D.), the population of Tbilisi had reached 80,000. The city also became an important literary and a cultural centre not only for Georgia but for the larger civilized world as well. During Queen Tamar’s reign, Shota Rustaveli worked in Tbilisi while writing his legendary epic poem, “The Knight in Panther’s Skin”. This period is widely known as “Georgia’s Golden Age” or the Georgian Renaissance.
By the 1850’s, and up today, Tbilisi once again emerged as a major trade and a cultural centre.